The popular Italian rice balls, Arancini, made with leftover risotto rice, split pea gram and served with tamarind & mint chutney, giving it an Indian twist is an Indian -Italian fusion.
Arancini normally uses leftover risotto from a previous meal, stuffed with cheese, coated with a crumbing set and deep-fried, however here the recipe uses the same rice cooked with water and is coated with corn-flakes, thus creating an eggless crispy texture. A suitable choice for vegetarians as well!
Recipe Card (Yield: 4 nos.)
|Risotto Rice (Par cooked)||100 gm|
|Split pigeon peas (cooked)||40 gm|
|Cumin powder||½ tsp|
|Green chili||1 no|
|Tamarind chutney||1 tbsp|
|Mint chutney||1 tbsp|
|Dehydrated carrot shavings||5 gm|
|Coriander leaves||5 gm|
Method of Preparation:
- Cook the rice in little ghee till al dente and keep aside for cooling down.
- Boil dal with seasoning until soft, mash and keep aside.
- Take the cooled rice in hand, press with the thumb to create a hole inside and add a teaspoon of mushy dal, roll over and shape into a ball.
- Coat over with some ghee, crushed corn flakes and deep-fry in hot oil to a golden colour.
- Drizzle with tamarind and mint chutney, garnished with carrot ribbons, deep-fried green chilli and serve warm.