Korean Fried Chicken is a temptingly delicious crispy chicken coated in a sticky, sweet & savoury sauce that is typically consumed with rice or noodles. In this recipe, the pieces of chicken are crispy coated, deep-fried and smothered with the spicy gochujang sauce, the highlight of this recipe.
|Chicken thighs bone in||350 gm|
|Rice wine||2 tbsp|
|Ginger minced||2 tbsp|
|Black pepper||0.5 – 1tsp|
|Potato startch||250 gm|
|Aseel canola oil||1.5 ltr|
|For the Sauce|
|Brown sugar||0.5 cup|
|Dark soy sauce||2 tbsp|
|Minced garlic||2 tbsp|
|Sesame oil||1 tbsp|
|For the Garnish|
|Toasted Sesame Seed||A/R|
|Green onions shredded||A/R|
Method of Preparation:
For the Chicken
- Marinate the chicken in rice wine, ginger, salt and black pepper, for 4 hrs or overnight.
- Combine them well and coat the chicken evenly with the starch by dipping the pieces one by one into the bowl of starch. Roll the chicken pieces around a bit and take them out and set them aside.
- In a deep saucepan (or fryer) add a generous amount of oil and heat it until the oil temperature reaches 175 C / 347 F (or boiling).
- Add the battered chicken carefully into the oil and fry them until they cook (between 3 to 5 mins, depending on the size of the chicken). Make sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Take out the chicken once cooked properly and place them onto some kitchen towel while frying the remaining chicken pieces.
- Once the first set of deep-frying is completed, quickly scoop out any floating debris from the oil using a skimmer.
- Then deep fry the chicken again when the oil temperature reaches 175 C / 347 F (or boiling). Fry them until the batter is golden and crisp. (The second time frying time is shorter than the first time, 2 - 3 mins). Set aside.
For the Sauce
- In a separate saucepan, add in the Korean fried chicken sauce ingredients.
- Heat the sauce over low medium heat and stir well.
- Once it starts bubbling, pour the fried chicken sauce over the chicken to coat. Mix them lightly yet thoroughly.
- Once all the chicken is coated with the sauce garnish it with sesame seeds and green onions.