Pasta is noodles of different shapes made from an unleavened dough of durum wheat flour and can also be made with flour from other cereals or grains. Pasta has become one of the most loved dishes around the world, as it is affordable, easy to prepare, versatile food and can be served as an appetizer, salad, starter, main course, or even as a dessert.
Depending on what the recipe calls for, pasta are both, in the dried (pasta secca) and fresh (pasta fresca) forms. Fresh pasta is hand-made with eggs and flour, rolled out, cut into desired shapes, and cooked. The shelf life of fresh pasta is short, and being delicate, works well with rich cream sauces.
About the Pasta Recipe of the Day - Gnocchi Bolognese
Gnocchi is thick, soft dough dumplings that may be made from a variety of ingredients such as semolina, ordinary wheat flour, egg, cheese, potato, breadcrumbs or similar ingredients. Gnocchi is eaten as a first course, as an alternative to soup or pasta.
The Bolognese sauce, known in Italian as “ragù alla Bolognese”, is a meat-based sauce originating from Bologna, Italy. The Gnocchi perfectly blends with the meaty taste of the Bolognese and instantly takes you to an authentic Italian household.
The Gnocchi is shaped perfectly into small dumplings, tossed into the meaty flavour of the Bolognese, helping the Gnocchi soak in a rich flavour and is garnished with Parmesan cheese.
|Egg yolk||2 piece|
|Olive oil||1 tbsp|
|For Bolognese sauce|
|Beef mince||180 g|
|Onion (chopped)||1 tbsp|
|Carrot (chopped)||1 tbsp|
|Celery (chopped)||1 tsp|
|Garlic (chopped)||1 tsp|
|Rosemary (fresh)||1/2 tsp|
|Tomato paste||2 tsp|
|Tomato puree||100 gm|
|Brown beef stock||250 ml|
|Parmesan cheese (grated)||1 tbsp|
|Crushed black pepper||as required|
|Olive oil||2 tbsp|
Method of Preparation
- Boil the potatoes with skin on, until cooked
- While the potatoes are boiling start the Bolognese sauce mixture; in a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil and sauté onion, celery, carrot and
- Add beef and sauté until dry and the beef is then added tomato paste, tomato puree and cook for another minute.
- Add the stock. Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes or until the right consistency is
- Check the seasoning of the sauce and finish with
To make the Gnocchi Dumplings
- Peel the potato skin and push through a sieve to get a soft mash without any lumps. Into this potato mash mix the flour, salt, egg yolk and nutmeg, to form a soft Form smooth dough, but do not knead, as the Gnocchi will become tough.
- Divide into small dumplings and shape.
- Add the gnocchi into the boiling salted water. Poach until it floats to the surface. Toss the gnocchi dumplings into the sauce. Serve hot garnished with Parmesan.