Potato Piroshki are classic Russian hand pies made out of fried dough dumplings stuffed with mashed potatoes, caramelized onions, dill and thyme, a very simple yet delicious snack to enjoy with family.
|Veg. oil||30 m|
|Boiled potato with skin||1.5 k|
|Fresh coriander||50 gm|
|Fresh dill||40 gm|
|Dry thyme||20 gm|
Method of Preparation
- Sift the flour in a big mixing bowl together with salt.
- Add water, yeast and sugar; knead the dough until elastic consistency.
- Wrap oil into the dough and let it rest in room temperature for 45-60 minutes (until the dough will be doubled a size).
- Dust the table with flour, transfer the dough from the bowl and divide it into small pieces( 30gm each).
- After scaling, roll them into small balls. Roll up each ball using fingertips and place the filling in middle.
- Select the dough from the ages crimp the ages give cylinder or oval form.
- Cover with Clingfilm and leave them on the table for another 10 minutes.
- Deep fry them in hot veg. oil until golden colour.
- Serve hot with tea. Normally at breakfast time.
- Boil medium-sized potatoes with the skin, strain existing water, peel and mash them while they are still hot.
- Cut the onion into small cubes and fry them in oil until golden colour.
- Add chopped fresh and dry herbs, salt and red paprika.
- Mix it all with the mashed potatoes.
- Take the mix off the heat and let it cool down.
- Divide it into small size balls and place into a proofed dough (20g in each).
Chef Maia Tsakanova
Baking has always been a passion for Maia from her childhood which made her pursue a career in the culinary industry as a pastry chef. From a home baker to a Head Pastry Chef at hotels and production houses such as Marriott, TGP Group, and Pro Bake, she has done it all to learn and improve her skills & knowledge.
Her career highlight includes working under the Michelin starred chef Thomas Muller in Georgia as a Head Pastry Chef which pushed her to go further and explore more in the world of patisserie.
Being trained by several renowned French pastry chefs in French patisserie along with her fourteen years of experience working in different sectors of the industry has helped her gain immense knowledge in the world of sugar and butter which she is now sharing with the students at ICCA Dubai as a Pastry Chef Instructor.