Machboos is a traditional Emirati rice preparation with a delicately spiced mix of meat or fish and vegetables. It has a slow-cooked process of making to give the most sumptuous flavour to the dish. It is also a native speciality of Qatar, Bahrain and Kuwait.
In this recipe, the Machboos is made with King Fish and warm spices and herbs giving it rich flavours and making the dish a perfect main course for special occasions.
|For the Fish|
|King Fish Fillet||5 pieces|
|Lemon juice||½ cup|
|Ground Turmeric||1 tsp|
|Black pepper||2 tsp|
|Ground coriander||2 tsp|
|Red Chilli||½ tsp|
|Aseel canola oil||A/R|
|For the Filling|
|Aseel canola oil||5 tbsp|
|Cow Ghee||2 tbsp|
|Onion (chopped)||2 pcs|
|Tomato (chopped)||2 pcs|
|Cinnamon stick||1 pc|
|Bay leaves||3 pcs|
|Black peppercorn||5 pcs|
|Coriander (chopped)||1 cup|
|Tomato paste||½ cup|
|Long grain rice||3 cups|
Method of Preparation:
For the Fish
- Marinate the kingfish with spices.
- On a frying pan add oil & wait till it heats up.
- Fry the fish for 5 mins per side then set aside.
For the Filling
- On a pot add oil and ghee then add onion, garlic and ginger, keep stirring till fragrant.
- Add chopped tomato and keep stirring till water evaporates then add chopped coriander.
- Then add in cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaves, black peppercorn and tomato paste, keep mixing for 3 mins.
- Add the rice and water, once it boils lower the heat, add the fish on top and cover with a lid.
- Allow everything to cook for around 15 mins.
- Garnish the dish with chopped parsley, lemon wedges and toasted almonds.