Thai Egg Custard in Pumpkin is a popular and interesting sweet dish from Bangkok that is served with sweet coconut sauce for dessert or breakfast.
This is a very colourful, impressive and well-balanced and delicious dish loved by kids and adults alike. When serving for kids, it can be served with condensed milk, toasted almonds and pumpkin seeds.
This dish is served room temperature or cold and tastes even better the next day. The main secret of this dish is that the Thai Egg Custard in Pumpkin is cooked on a very gentle heat. If the heat is too much, the custard might overflow and pumpkin might crack. When cutting this dish, the same method should be used as when cutting a cake, making each new cut carefully with a clean knife. Traditionally this dish goes without cinnamon powder, but it gives an additional twist and adds great flavour to it.
|Small pumpkin||1 (500gm)|
|Coconut milk||100 gm|
|Cinnamon powder||½ tsp|
|Corn starch||1 tsp|
Method of Preparation
- Prepare all the ingredients. Cut a square hole at the top of the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Do not discard the cap, steam it together with the pumpkin and use later for decoration.
- Beat eggs with sugar.
- Add a pinch of salt into the egg mixture, mix well. Add coconut milk and reserve 1 tbsp
- Mix 1 tbsp of coconut milk with the cornstarch in a separate bowl, make sure there are no lumps
- Add remaining coconut milk and cornstarch mixed with coconut milk into the egg mixture, combine all the ingredients.
- Add cinnamon powder, mix well.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Pour the custard mix into the pumpkin, but do not put too much custard, otherwise, it will start going out of the pumpkin when you start cooking. Leave around 1 cm at the top.
- Bring a saucepan steamer to a boil, reduce heat to minimum and steam the pumpkin together with pumpkin cap on a low gentle heat for around 1-1.5 hours until the pumpkin cooks through. Use a toothpick to check if the pumpkin has cooked, the pumpkin should be soft, and all water should evaporate from the custard.
- When the egg custard in pumpkin is ready, remove it from the steamer, put on a plate and let it cool down at room temperature for around 2 hours.
- After the pumpkin cools down to room temperature, you can serve it with condensed milk and toasted almonds and pumpkin seeds. Or you can store it in the fridge and eat the next day, this dessert is absolutely delicious when served cold as well.
About the Contributor
Evgeny and Alisa Belousov
We both share a passion for cooking and especially enjoy cooking together. For us, it is more than just about food. It’s about sharing creative ideas, communicating and expressing ourselves through our culinary creations.
We believe that anyone can cook and this idea helped us start our culinary project – Delicious Artisanal Food. We hope to inspire other people, even those who never cooked before, to take the first step and begin this wonderful journey of cooking home-made delicious quality meals. The best food is the food made with love and by people we love.
At first, we learned from the internet and culinary books, we also took cooking classes whenever we travelled, discovering different food cultures and ingredients. But we thought that it was not enough and recently we joined ICCA Dubai to gain professional cooking skills and challenge ourselves.
To know more about delicious artisanal food project please visit: deliciousaf.net
Your Space, Our World
This is a global platform for you to showcase your best for the world to see, in what you love doing most, Cook!
To get featured, upload your favourite recipe on Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn and tag ICCA Dubai with the hashtags #iccadubai and #iccamorningpost.