These individual Mini Lasagnas are easy to make and super satisfying. Use leftovers from your Braised Beef to whip up this dish, to serve it either as an appetizer or a treat meal on a weekend.
|Tomato paste||25 g|
|Red wine||100 ml|
|Beef stock||500 ml|
|Strip Loin||200 g|
|Salt/ Pepper/Chili flakes/Thyme||As required|
|Olive oil||As required|
|Olive oil||20 ml|
Method of Preparation
- Fry carrots, leeks, celery, onions, rosemary, and thyme in a pot.
- Add tomato paste to the above mix and fry.
- Add red wine and reduce by half.
- Top the pot up with beef stock and simmer.
- Season the strip loin and sear on all sides and add to the braising liquid, for 4 hours until soft.
- For the pasta, mix flour, egg, olive oil, and a pinch of salt and work to a dough, then put in the fridge for 30 min.
- Roll the pasta out till 1cm thick and cut out and cook, fry in olive oil and season.
- Remove meat after braising, and start pulling the beef into strips, strain the braising liquid, and reduce the sauce by half then add the pulled beef to the sauce.
- Start layering the beef in between the pasta sheets on a plate, drizzle extra sauce around and garnish with tomato, asparagus and micro herbs.
Chef Sergio Freitas
Sergio’s culinary career began early on, inspired by his parents and their love & respect for quality & traditions, leading him to take upon culinary arts as his career path. After graduating from HTA School of Culinary Arts, South Africa, Sergio started his culinary journey at the Michelangelo Hotels under the guidance of the celebrity chef, Andrew Atkinson, the Executive Chef of the property. He developed and extended his skills there to all the outlets of the hotel, enabling him to be a part of a new opening team of The Fairway Hotel and Spa. Spotting immense talent in him, he was soon promoted to the position of Sous Chef under Chef Jean – Pierre Siegenthaler, in which he continued pleasing the palates of the hotel’s most exclusive clients.
In 2012, Sergio was given the opportunity to be the Senior Sous Chef at a well-known catering company in South Africa, where he was soon promoted to the position of Executive Chef. During this period, he launched many International brands in the culinary business, catered for celebrities and participated in events for the president of South Africa on several occasions. He has also been featured on TV shows and Radio programs promoting the love for food.
Outside his catering business, Sergio worked closely with a company called Mess, which provided soup kitchens around the Johannesburg, feeding the homeless. A cause close to his heart; cooking, comfort and care allow him to channel his culinary expertise for the aid of those in needs.
Sergio always wanted to give back to the industry that gave him all that he has dreamt of, and that’s why decided to teach and joined the ICCA Dubai as a Chef Instructor to share his knowledge with the future of the culinary industry.