The good old family favourite dessert made with just three main ingredients and baking it carefully in a water bath, yielding the perfect texture for a silky smooth creme caramel or Egg Pudding.
|Condensed milk||1 tin (395 gm)|
|Full fat milk||1 litre|
|Vanilla extract||1 tsp|
|Granulated Sugar||2 tbsp|
Method of Preparation:
For the Caramel
- Sprinkle the granulated sugar in 8 inches ring pan or 9 inches round pan or any oven proof pan which can hold 2 liters.
- Place it directly over the stove on medium heat till sugar starts melting and caramelizing.
- If you are using a ceramic or glass dish, you may want to melt sugar in a pan and then pour it immediately in your dish.
- It may harden which is fine.
For the Custard
- Beat eggs and vanilla with a stand mixer (whisk attachment) or with a hand beater.
- Add in both milk and continue beating.
- You just need to mix really well till a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Pour the mixture in the prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven in a water bath* at 400 F for at least 1.5 hours***.
- Chill it in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight before unmoulding. If you have baked in a glass bowl, you can serve it as is.
- To speed up the process, I chill in freezer uncovered for 1 hour and then 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- To unmould, run a parring knife around the edges inner and outer and place a big inverted serving plate on top. Carefully turn it, tap and it will come out easily.
- Water bath is merely a bigger pan with water at least 2 inches high and the actual dish placed in it.
- If the water dries out when you check halfway through, simply pour more water with a jug.
- It can take up to 2 hours but make sure the cake tester comes out clean.
***Adapted from My mom's diary
About the Contributor
A Software Engineer turned Pastry Chef, Nadia, is a graduate in Professional Patisserie Program from ICCA Dubai with additional certifications in Cake Decoration, Artisan programs such as Chocolate & Bread making to enhance her skills and knowledge in the word of Baking and Patisserie.
Nadia, has a baking enterprise that she runs from home and has made over 1000 decorated cakes/cupcakes and dessert tables. She is also a food blogger as well as a You Tuber where she shares her recipes and conducts baking workshops. She has also been featured in Gulf News showcasing her culinary journey.
Your Space, Our World
This is a global platform for you to showcase your best for the world to see, in what you love doing most, Cook!
To get featured, upload your favourite recipe on Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn and tag ICCA Dubai with the hashtags #iccadubai and #iccamorningpost.