An interestingly healthy take on the traditional Middle Eastern breakfast favourite, shakshuka with eggs braised in a savoury green base making it a perfect and tasty way to celebrate greens.
|US Eggs||4 Nos|
|Veg/olive oil||4 tbsp|
|Large stem of leeks||1 stem|
|Coriander leaves||1 bunch|
|Chopped spring onions||40 gm|
|Cumin seeds||25 gm|
|Turmeric powder (optional)||15 gm|
|Crushed garlic||7 cloves|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|NOTE: All your greens must be chopped|
|For the garlic sauce topping|
|Garlic (sliced thinly)||3 cloves|
|Olive oil||20 ml|
Method of Preparation:
- Pour oil in a pan on medium heat. Add your chopped leeks and a bit of salt.
- Let it cooked or sweat slowly.
- Then add your chopped garlic and cumin seeds, cooked and stir them together with the leeks.
- Add all your herbs in a pan and let all the herbs and chopped spring onions to sweat in your pan on medium-low heat. Do not burn.
- Once all the herbs are cooked, add your spinach and turmeric powder (optional), let it cook. On this stage, you can add your turmeric and season it again. Then add water to create a sauce.
- When most of your liquid has been evaporated, add you lime juice.
- Create a well for your eggs pour your raw eggs (on each well). Again season it lightly and cover your lid to cook the eggs (your desired texture) on low heat.
- Once eggs are done add your garlic sauce on top of your eggs.
- Ready to serve.
- In a pan, place oil and sliced garlic then add a spoon of Harissa. Take it out from the heat.
About the Contributor
Maria Belinda Sanderson
Food enthusiast, certified professional chef and ICCA alumna.
Your Space, Our World
This is a global platform for you to showcase your best for the world to see, in what you love doing most, Cook!
To get featured, upload your favourite recipe on Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn and tag ICCA Dubai with the hashtags #iccadubai and #iccamorningpost.