Are you looking for a Keto friendly vegetarian recipe? Look no further. We are bringing you an easy to make Roasted Eggplant Boat recipe with some interesting Mediterranean twists making this Keto recipe a great and wholesome vegetarian option for Ketogenic diet followers.
The idea of combining Keto with Mediterranean flavours is to achieve recipes that are bursting full of regional flavours. The most convincing thing about this recipe is that these delicious Mediterranean Roasted Eggplant Boats come together in less than 20 minutes! Now that is worth a try, don’t you think?
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s take a look at the nutritional contribution of the ingredients used in this recipe...
Nutritional Value of Ingredients
- Eggplant is a great meat substitute when you are trying to keep your protein macros in check.
- Mediterranean spices such as oregano and sumac are antioxidant powerhouses.
- Tomatoes goes well in a Keto recipe as they are extremely low on carbs and are a great source of Vitamin C & K, Potassium and Folate.
- Bell peppers are low on carbs and high in antioxidants. They are also a good source of Vitamin A, C & B6.
- Feta cheese is rich in protein, calcium and beneficial fatty acids yet low on carbs.
- Olive oil offers both saturated and mono-saturated fat, as well as the essential fats, Omega-6 & Omega-3.
Eggplant is a Keto friendly vegetable and is widely used in Mediterranean cuisine as well. Seasoned with Mediterranean spices such as oregano & sumac, and topped with chopped tomatoes, assorted bell peppers and feta cheese, you’ll have the delicious oven roasted eggplant boats that are perfect for a side dish or a light vegetarian dinner.
- Number of Servings - 2
- Preparation Time - 10 minutes
- Cooking Time - 10 minutes
|Egg plant, cut in half||2 nos|
|Tomato, deseeded and chopped||1 no|
|Bell peppers, assorted, cut in chunks||50 gm|
|Olive Oil||4-5 tbsp plus more for drizzling|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Feta cheese, crumbled||100 gm|
|Fresh parsley, finely chopped||2 tbsp|
|Pomegranate seeds for garnish||20 gm|
Method of Preparation
- Toss the eggplant in olive oil, seasoning, sumac and oregano and mix. Roast at 180 degrees Celsius for 8 - 10 minutes or till done.
- Toss the tomato and bell peppers in olive oil, herbs and seasoning as well and roast at 180 degrees Celsius for 8- 10 minutes or till done.
- For assembly, top each half of the boat with 2-3 tablespoons of the roasted vegetable mixture.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese, pomegranate seeds, finely chopped parsley and drizzle with Olive Oil on top. Serve it hot.
Chef Victoria Andrade
Victoria is one of those culinary professionals who believe that you can be as passionate about fitness as you are about food. She always tries to come up with interesting flavour combinations keeping nutrition as a priority without compromising on the taste aspects of it. Her perspective about food has always been about making something that is as appealing to your palate as to your waist.
Hailing from Argentina, Victoria started her culinary journey from her home country working at some of the prominent properties of the region. After gaining some years of experience, her passion for French cuisine took her to France where she explored the French culinary scene.
Her culinary pursuit in France continued for a few years working at several eminent properties such as Marriott Group, Manoir de la roseraie and many more. In 2017, Victoria moved to Dubai and worked for the Ritz Carlton group of hotels before joining ICCA Dubai as a Hot Kitchen Chef Instructor.