The classic French dessert, Creme Caramel, an egg pudding with a layer of clear caramel sauce and flavored with Saffron and Cardamom giving it the flavors of the season.
|Caster sugar||130 gm|
|Whole cardamom, crushed||2|
Method of Preparation
- In a pan add sugar (only 100 gm) and leave on slow heat until all the sugar melt and caramelizes.
- When the caramel is ready pour it in the dishes and spread it throughout the bottom.
- In another pan boil milk, the remaining sugar (30 gm), cardamom and saffron together.
- In a bowl, lightly whisk the eggs and pour heated milk and continue whisking.
- Strain the custard mix and pour it over the caramel. Remove the foam if necessary with a skimmer.
- Bake in bain-marie at 100 C for 50-60 minutes or until firm yet shaky in the center.
- Chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Unmold and serve.
- To unmold, run the knife along the sides of the custard and invert onto a plate.
NB: Make sure not to over whisk eggs before adding milk.