A decadent Saffron Cake or Gers Ogaily, an irresistibly delicious and moist cake with the classic Persian flavours of saffron, cardamom and rose, and served with Rose Mahalabia making it a perfect treat for the Iftar evenings.
|Flour||1 1/2 cup|
|Baking powder||1 1/2 tsp|
|Saffron threads||1/2 tsp|
|Sesame seeds||1 1/2 tsp|
|Cornstarch||1/2 cup (60 g)|
|Rose water||3 1/2 tbsp|
Method of Preparation:
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees, and line your cake tin with oil and sesame seeds.
- Warm up the milk and sprinkle saffron threads in it and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom.
- In a separate bowl, using a hand mixer foam up eggs , vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy ( ribbon stage)
- Fold in the flour, oil and milk gently into the egg sugar mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes.
For the Mahalabia
- Pour 3/4 milk and cream in sauce and bring to a simmer
- Dissolve the corn starch in the remaining 1/4 then add to sauce pan
- Add 1/4 cup sugar to the sauce recipe
- Cook until in starts to thicken , stirring continuously
- Take off the heat add rose water and food colouring ( optional)
- Pour on the cake once it cools down and serve.