A classic brown sugar cake with a hint of salt made from scratch and topped with butterscotch frosting, making it perfect, easy and a delicious bake.
Serves: 12-14 Prep time: 45 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes Total time: 1 hour
|All purpose flour||2 1/2 cups|
|Baking powder||3 1/2 tsp|
|Butter (at room temp)||3 3/4 cup|
|Brown sugar||1 1/2 cup|
|Vegetable oil||3 tbsp|
|Butterscotch essence||5 tsp|
|Milk||1 1/4 cups|
|Butter (room temp)||1 1/4 cup|
|Icing/confectioner sugar||3 1/2 cup|
|Butterscotch essence||2 tsp|
|Caramel sauce||for dripping|
Method of Preparation:
For the butterscotch cake:
- Line 2 8 inch cake tins with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- In a medium bowl sieve flour, baking powder and salt. Combine all together and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, add butter, brown sugar and oil, mix it well.
- Add eggs gradually and butterscotch essence. Mix until completely combined and smooth.
- Add half of the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Add milk and mix it well until combined.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients mixing it well until combined and smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly into two 8 inch cake tins. Put it into the preheated oven which is at 180 degrees. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes out of the oven and leave it to cool for 2-3 minutes and then remove them to the cooling racks to cool.
- To make butterscotch frosting. Add butter, beat the butter until its pale and fluffy in colour.
- Add the icing sugar in small batches.
- Add the butterscotch essence, milk and salt. Beat all the ingredients together it all combines.
To assemble the cake:
- Place the cake on a cardboard or a serving plate.
- Spread about 1 cup of frosting into an even layer on top of the cake.
- Add the second layer of cake on top of the frosting.
- Add the rest of the frosting to cover the whole cake creating a crumb coat.
- With the remaining frosting frost the entire cake.
About the Contributor
Qualified Professional Pastry Chef and an aspiring entrepreneur.
Your Space, Our World
This is a global platform for you to showcase your best for the world to see, in what you love doing most, Cook!
To get featured, upload your favourite recipe on Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn and tag ICCA Dubai with the hashtags #iccadubai and #iccamorningpost.