Bastani Irani is a rich, creamy, and fragrant Persian ice cream that is redolent with the fragrance of rosewater and saffron. It is traditionally served between two thin wafers, like an ice cream sandwich, but is equally delicious on its own or even with some traditional faloodeh.
|Condensed milk||1 cup|
|Cardamom powder||1 tsp|
|Saffron yellow food colour (optional)||A pinch|
|Saffron threads||A pinch|
|Cornflour||1-1 1/2 tbsp|
|Thick cream||250 gm|
|Solidified milk||1 cup|
|Silvered pistachio||25 gm|
|Silvered almonds||25 gm|
|Walnuts, finely chopped||25 gm|
|Desiccated coconut||For garnish|
Method of Preparation:
- In saucepan heat milk, add sugar, cardamom powder, saffron strands, and color and bring to a boil.
- When it comes to a boil, add cornflour mixed with 1/4 cup of water. Let the mixture thicken. Note the mixture does not need to be very thick. Only slight thickening is required.
- Once thickened switch off flame. Add in the cream, condensed milk, solidified milk, Rose water and nuts and mix well.
- Pour in moulds of choice, and freeze overnight or till set.
- Demould and garnish with desiccated coconut and serve alongside faloodeh.
Chef Sabeen Fareed
An Innovative Patissier, certified and trained in hospitality, commercial cookery & patisserie. Her experience extends in the culinary realm, working with ICCA DUBAI for the past 5 years, whereby managing Executive lunch buffets, exotic high tea and Menu development are also to tag a few.
She owns a charismatic style and finesse in fine dining, and in the art of pastry making, designing and presentation. Certified in Gelato making, she is also well versed in Gelateria Management skills. Her proficiency and knowledge includes holding a Masters Certificate in Sugar crafting, working and incorporating that art and talent along with other techniques in pastry.
Has also been involved in culinary training and worked as a pastry chef instructor at the International Center for Culinary Arts Dubai, connecting with and coaching individuals sharing the same passion. She has also contributed her expertise in her culinary career in areas that includes menu planning, cost control and analysis, and staffing.